Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Gabriel v. The Red Velvet Cake

Remember I told you I become Betty Crocker during the holidays? 
Ok, let me remind you...I hate despise cooking.... HOWEVER
I LOVE BAKING!

It all starts with our friends' Thanksgiving gatherings in November. 
This time around, the hosts requested Red Velvet Cake. Oh and did I mention I do it from scratch? 
All of it, except the icing...haven't quite mastered that yet!













Meet Gabriel. He loves loves loves cupcakes. 
Lucky for him, Auntie Andie knew exactly what to do for him...




Gabriel 1 - Red Velvet Cake 0

Below is the recipe I used to make my delicious Red Velvet Cake and Cupcakes.
Tip: Make sure you sift your flour before measuring the 3 1/3 cups!


Magnolia Bakery's Red Velvet Cake

as published on The Nest.


Cake
¾ cup (1½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2¼ cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
6 Tbl. red food coloring
3 Tbl. unsweetened cocoa
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
1½ tsp. salt
1½ cups buttermilk
3⅓ cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
1½ tsp. cider vinegar
1½ tsp. baking soda
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 3 (9x2-inch) round cake pans and line bottoms with waxed paper. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time; beat well.
In a small bowl, whisk food coloring, cocoa and vanilla. Add to batter and beat well. In a measuring cup, stir salt into buttermilk. Add to batter in three parts, alternating with flour. In a small bowl, stir together cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to batter and mix well.
Divide batter among 3 pans. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Let cool for 1 hour. Remove from pans and frost.
Vanilla Frosting
1½ cup (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
8 to 10 cups confectioners’ sugar
¾ cup milk
1 Tbl. vanilla extract
Place butter in a large mixing bowl; then add 4 cups sugar, milk and vanilla.
Using an electric mixer, beat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition, until it’s a good consistency for spreading.


4 comments:

  1. OMG - rub that all over my body please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baking too, and I loveeee red velvet cake! Is this the Magnolia's in South Carolina??? If so, their red velvet cake is amazing! I will have to bookmark this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gabriel looks like one very satisfied customer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny Andie! I'm the opposite! I looove cooking.. I guess cause it doesn't have to be so precise...and it seems less messy to me honestly.. I'm all about not having to wash measuring cups, mixing bowls, cookie sheets..etc.. but this looks AMAZZZZING!


    ♥Janette
    http://janettethejongleur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a love note!
It makes my day!
I usually reply via email :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...